Thursday, 14 May 2009

Summers '09 - My first step beyond India..... When wrongs lead you to the right !!!!!

It started on a hurried note. (May 8) Exams over (!!anyhow!!) .... time to cover some prior appointments and shopping of course for which the planning went on since last month. Completed everything, waited for the exam in second half to end and then started wid Sandy and Gaurav. We started off for shopping at about evening six and by the time we had completed just bits of it, the shops started closing and we were left with no option but to return and leave the rest for delhi. There was no bus left and so we managed to get a cab with two other IITGmates. On the way, the tyre got punctured; the driver happily announced that he had left the tools at home. We then passed about an hour talking on a dark, ghostly road until another cab dropped us in the campus at about midnight. Further I decided to rest for about an hour and then start packing. But that hour was long enough till morning 9. Wid train at 12 and to leave by 10 o' clock bus, it was just filling all garbage in my box and calling myself ready. Den 1 more..
ticket hard copy???? so ran to the centre for energy but mistakenly ended up in prof's room, talked to him about the BTP and then came suddenly the shameless words, "Sir, may I have a printout of my ticket. " Shocked by the sudden topic change, came the divine reply after some 15 seconds, "YES". So, I got the printout, had his blessings and began the journey. The blessings quickly bore fruits. Thankfully Saurabh Gupta(PDY) dropped me at Kameng Bus stop from where I boarded the bus and while the bus reached kapili, there was no place left and the driver didn't stop the bus.

Finally, I got into the train and the train moved towards delhi. On the way, I changed train at my home station; met my family and finally reached delhi 4 hours late in the afternoon wid papa and maa. At delhi, I had an "Instruction Session", had some more shopping and left for the airport at 5;30. I reached there at 7:00; bid goodbye to papa, maa and bhaiya and finally went in for the checking. Chandu was first and his belongings exactly matched the elgibility criteria. It was no surprise for me when chandu said that he had already checked it before coming here. I went next and ya as expected, my checked in bagage weighed 4 kgs more and cabin 1 kg more. But the blessings brought the solution. I could keep the laptop wid me and its weight didnt count. I took it out from my checked in baggage, transferred some more stuff to it and went again for checking. This time it was a kg less and my face gave a sincere smile and I could see my box forwarded. Then the next checking...." Ur passport and visa?? and I checked all over.... where did it go? not in pocket, nowhere in bag... wat now ???? I got the feeling that Einstein had me in mind when he exemplified his theory of relativity by citing, "The journey ended before it had started. " but suddenly, I felt something in my laptop bag. Ya, I was going to UK now. I thanked God, wat if my box had weighed below 30 kgs.... my passport would have been transported in my box just to be thrown away after some time. I got my wallet also there wid 250 pounds. Then I took my time, prepared well, no more mistakes, went exactly as a robot and took my place in the flight.

The flight took off at exact time. Greatly experienced my first time, enjoyed the journey well and reached dubai at 12:00a.m. local timing. The airport was awesome. No doubt, I was in one of the largest trading cities of the world. From there, I took off to london at about 2:30. This time, to me side was a dutch. We started when his seatbelt hit me... "Sorry"----"no, its ok"----"HI, HOW U? FRM WHERE?"----"india, wat bout u?"----"DUTCH.... M FINE EXCEPT FOR MY HAIRFALL" The next few hours we chatted continuously.... of which the first comprised only bout his hairfall which compelled him to adopt the venus serena style. The ropes seriously were amazing, I could easily imagine them to be stronger than those used for pulling water from deep wells and dat too on a white dutch.... OMG!!!!

Finally I reached London Heathrow at 7:30. I njoyed the plane circulating over till it got clearance for landing... a peculiar heathrow identification, had a Q-A session by the security and finally reclaimed my baggage. Next was contacting the univ. I went to the booth, took out my wallet, counted my money.... 10+20+50+...=230. Oh... I had LOST 20 RUPEES, ITS FINE AND SHOCKED.... NO 20 POUNDS. I searched and counted again.... Wat a start??? Then moved for my task. There was a lady calling. 1 pound for a minute. I asked her, Could I have some change, plz.... she lowered and rose up again, put a 1 pound coin in the box, asked my number and dialled it, then gave it to me when it rang. I thought... gd.. 1 bak!!!! 19 more to go... sry 19 more to come... and then some1 picked up; I talked to sir, got the route clear and then it ended. Suddenly something strange, the lady was still there. I thought she was asking me her pound but why was she giving me again???? I heard "Quick..." No, it wasnt possible. I took it and counted - 19 pounds.I took my wallet and counted 10+20+50+... = 230 pounds. And then was the movie clear. I pondered why I asked her for change although I knew I could get it from any shop ordering a cup of coffee. Really... WAT A START...... The lady was from zimbabwe. Then I took a bus.... reached nottingham and finally a cab to my residence for the next few days. I then rested and relived my journey in my memory but it wasnt to leave me and I decided to write it down to relive it again and again!!!!!!!!

Three things which tore my eyes out....!!!!???"""">>>><<<<;;;;

1) An old woman probably in her eighties and quarter bent managing everything herself. She had two boxes, about 20 and 15 kgs respectively and a hand bag of about 10 kgs. She loaded it, unloaded it to and from the trolley and the plane and surprisingly without any help and problems.

2) A man in queue for payment in a General Purpose shop waiting for the person ahead of him in queue who had left for taking some more items to come and do his payment when the counter was empty and the guy returned almost after 3-4 minutes.

3) A milky white dutch with Henry Olonga's Hairs.

Its the end of my first day here.... A great start and I am waiting.... How it goes on ??????

" THANK YOU "

7 comments:

  1. Messy journey! If only that passport had gone off with the checked in luggage...
    keep posting with all ur funny incidents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! kewl..enjoy dude n keep updating this blog with ur enriching n thrilling xperience there..
    all the best: :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. a real gud experience bro..u proved urself again...congrats...keep updating..nd do well..

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol ... ruddy nice journey!!! and what about the 20 pounds?? found em??

    ReplyDelete
  5. how much time did it take to write the blog???????

    ReplyDelete
  6. dost..ab to ye bhi ek Paradox hai..teri relativity..aur tera frame of reference..dude..tu hamare vale parallel universe me hai na..ya.switch karta rehta hai..vaise..hadd..describe kiya hai.. explicitly...like ur unknown id mail...nice:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. A tryst with errors finally ended in peace. Loved your writing style, I could feel the pace.

    ReplyDelete